We invite you to explore
Elk River Idaho!
A Little History on Elk River Idaho:
Elk River was first homesteaded in 1897 by Willard Trumbull. In 1909 his homestead was purchased by the Potlatch Lumber Company, and the first electric saw mill in the country was started in 1910. The name of fast growing town changed from Trumbull to Elk River at this time. The railroad was extended into Elk River from Bovill. By 1912 Elk River was prosperous with about 40 operating businesses, a new school, waterworks system, graded streets, electricity, board sidewalks and a hospital. In 1927 a newer bigger sawmill was built in Lewiston, Idaho and the town started to suffer. By April of 1932 the saw mill closed, and the following year the planner mill had closed.
WINTER ~ December thru February
- Tom’s Tavern Pirate Gift Exchange
- Kids Christmas Fun at the Library
- Santa comes to town Christmas Eve
- New Year’s Eve Parties
- Tom’s Tavern Crab Feed
- Snowmobile Fun Runs
- Ice Fishing Derby
- Superbowl Parties
SPRING ~ March thru May
- Kids Easter Egg Hunt
- Fire Department Auction-moved to September for 2021
- ATV/UTV Fun Run
- Spring Fishing Derby (May or June)
- SLORA Boat Races
SUMMER ~ June thru August
- Library Summer Reading Program
- ATV/UTV Fun Run
- Fireworks in the Mountains
- Tom’s Tavern Founder’s Day
- Elk River Days
FALL ~ September thru November
- Tom’s Tavern Iron Man
- Tom’s Tavern Pig Roast
- Tom’s Tavern Pool Tournament
- Kids Halloween Fun at the Library
- Spooky Library fun for the kids
- Veteran’s Day Breakfast
Play In Elk River
The Dent Bridge is a suspension bridge in the northwest United States, located in north central Idaho in Clearwater County, north of Orofino. It is 17 miles up the North Fork of the former Clearwater River, now the Dworshak Reservoir.
Clearance below: 40′
Construction started: 1969
Total length: 1,542′
This is a fun daytrip from Elk River, to not only show you Dworshak Reservoir… but this beautiful bridge!
Giant Cedar Grove Trailhead
(Upper Basin Road to trail 748 follow signs)
Just 30 minutes north of the sweet little town of Elk River, Idaho, the Giant Cedar Grove Trailhead marks the start of the paved and accessible Giant Red Cedar National Recreation Trail (Trail 748). Hikers can see the “Champion Tree of Idaho,” more than 18′ in diameter along with many groves of old growth cedar trees. Affectionately named the “Champion Tree” or “King Tree,” there is a giant Cedar here that is over 3,000 years old. To put it into perspective, this tree was already 500 years old when the Egyptians were still building pyramids in Giza.
It’s also over 18 feet wide and 177 feet tall.
Elk Creek Falls:
Elk Creek Falls is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Elk River, Idaho that features three spectacular waterfalls, Upper, Middle and Lower! The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.
Elk River Falls (both upper, middle and lower) are well worth a visit before the summer heat takes over, and the grove is also home to thousands of 500-year old giant cedars as well.
Elk River Historical Society Museum:
Elk River Historical Museum has photos, news articles and memorabilia dating back to when Elk River was the Trumbell Homestead, which was turned into a hunting and fishing resort. The historical account of the area continues through the lumber era, when the first all-electric sawmill was built, up to the present time.
At this time, the museum is open on certain weekends, such as Elk River Days, but otherwise is only open upon request
Elk Butte Lookout:
First used as a camp lookout in 1912, a platform tower and log cabin were built in 1918. The cabin was burned by hunters, and replaced in 1926 (this cabin is still there). A 30′ wooden tower with live-in cab was built in 1933. An army-surplus 80′ steel tower, with the original cab from the 1933 tower at the 30′ level, was built in 1948. It had been staffed into the 1990’s, and is presently on emergency status. The tower is listed on the National Historic Lookout Register.